The Premier has announced whilst all public schools will remain open until the end of the term, families are strongly encouraged to keep their children at home if they are able to do so.
Monday 30 March to Friday 3 April
- If children attend school, they will be taught as normal.
Monday 6 April to Thursday 9 April
- If children attend school, they will be supervised only.
Friday 10 April to Monday 27 April
- School Holidays – the school will be closed
Term 2 – scheduled to commence on Tuesday 28 April 2020
At this stage arrangements for Term 2 have not been finalised. The State Government is working on developing a longer term education model for Term 2 and beyond in response to COVID-19.
Please be assured that when the school is provided with further information, we will provide the details to you as soon as possible.
I would like to thank you for your support and cooperation during this unprescendented situation.
PRINCIPAL – Balga Primary School
More information from the Admin team:
Our teachers have been working hard to put together work packages for all students to work on at home. These work packages can be collected from the Administration Office on Monday 30 March from 8.30am. Please be aware of not overcrowding the office, and please be patient with staff as there are a lot of packs to be collected. If possible, please try to leave your trip to the office until later in the day.
Notifying the office if your child is staying home
Most families have already confirmed with us that they will be keeping their children home for the next two weeks. If you haven’t already notified us, and you will be keeping your child home, please ensure you contact the office to confirm so we can ensure that our records are adequately updated.
If your child is unwell, please do not send them to school.
BYO water bottles
As per advice received from the Public Health Emergency Operations Centre (PHEOC), it is preferable that students bring their own individual water bottles that can be filled from the fountain as necessary. This will reduce the need for students to drink directly from fountains.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact the school.
Balga Primary School
I hope everyone in the Balga PS community is feeling well during these challenging times. This message is to reassure you that we are doing everything we can to support your child’s well-being and academic needs in this current situation. We also thank you for remaining calm and trusting that the school is working in the best interests of the children. The following are a list of points that should offer some clarification and inform you what we are doing to keep your children safe:
- Balga PS is acting on the advice from the Chief Medical Officer and will remain open until directed otherwise.
- If your child is feeling sick, please keep them at home and inform the office.
- Please reduce your visits to the office where possible by using email email@example.com or phone communication 9253 4500.
- If you decide to keep your child home, our website can accessed for “At Home Learning” activities that children can engage in at home. This includes the latest Department online resources platform: http://balgaps.wa.edu.au/
- Staff and students are following strict handwashing protocols.
- If it is necessary to speak to staff members, please remain 2 metres away.
- Our cleaning staff are following Department cleaning guidelines.
- We have cancelled/postponed incursions and excursions to reduce contact with others.
- Given the environment we are in, staff are managing social distancing with the students to the best of their ability.
- Breakfast Club is continuing, however, we have made adjustments in response to the current situation.
- Dropping off and collecting – Depending on the age of the student, could family members please either say goodbye at the school gates or at the front door of the classroom.
- Library borrowing will be cancelled for the remainder of the term.
- Before school reading in the library – This has been cancelled to reduce the close proximity and sharing of books. We will now ask students to attend the New Undercover Area where they will be given paper and a pencil for free drawing. Please feel free to send coloured pencils with your child as we will not be using communal pencils during this time.
During these times requiring the need for increased communication capabilities, we are using our SMS system via our School Star app to provide regular updates.
** Please ensure that we have your correct contact phone numbers **
The School Star app is now used for all Messages, News, Events and Notices. If you have not yet downloaded the free app, please enter the below download link into the browser of your mobile device or search via your Apple or Android Store: www.mgmw.co/85l1fZP
Please note: Only parents and community members can access content in this secure app and Seesaw will still be in use for Parent/Teacher communication.
Dianella Science Quest
During week 5 a select group of our year 6 students competed in the Dianella Science Quest. This is a science based competition where groups compete in a number of science challenges at Dianella Secondary College. These challenges included a forensic task, identifying rock types, chemistry and a STEM based building project. Our students were great representatives for our school, competing with a good team spirit and showing respect to teachers and fellow competitors.
One of our teams finished in third place, which is a great showing given that around 30 teams were competing. They managed to build a small structure using spaghetti and hot glue guns which could support a weight of 6 kilograms, a record for the day! Congratulations to Yasmin, Kailah, Daania and Ayan.
The Balga Community Association Inc. which trades as the Balga Friday Markets has been making donations to School P&C’s for many years from the proceeds raised by our community volunteers operating at the Balga Friday Markets. We are very happy to announce their Committee has decided to donate $1,000 to Balga Primary School P&C this year. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the Balga Friday Markets Committee for their continued generosity and contributions within our local community.
Please support and follow Balga Friday Markets on Facebook via the following link: @balgafridaymarkets to get the latest updates on when they will be re-opening for buyers and sellers.
The Balga Primary School P&C are always looking for new members, so please come along and join at the next P&C meeting. The joining cost is $1.00 and is valid until the 2021 Annual General Meeting.
Balga Primary School Upgrades
The following upgrades have been made at Balga Primary School. We hope you have not been inconvenienced by any of them and your children enjoy the benefits:
- Basketball/netball courts have been resurfaced and marked
- Painting to freshen up the wet areas
- Painting to freshen up the eating areas
- New fence to the ECE Kindy area to help keep our children safe
Room 4 Assembly
Thank you to all our beautiful Room 4 students who entertained us for our last assembly for Term 1.
Well done everyone!!
Again, please refer to our “At Home Learning” tab for guidance if choosing to school your children from home.